[ TULA GETS CURTAINS ]
Our family moved into this house eight months ago, and until a few weeks ago, Tula’s windows have been bare. She’s been a good sport about it, never complaining about being scared at night, or even being bothered by a giant spider who took up residence outside her window last month. In fact, the kids named him Stripy, and were quite fond of watching him eat the bugs he’d catch in his web.
I had planned to sew curtains out of the modern floral fabric that I used for the pillow and bed skirt, but the fabric was something I picked up at a garage sale a year ago, and I later discovered that all of the pieces were only eighteen inches wide. I had heard that Ikea had a line of bedding and curtains in similar colors, so I picked up sheets and a bedspread, but I was never able to find curtains.
Then, last month I came across a twin size duvet cover at Goodwill for $4.99. The colors looked like a perfect match, and the pattern was nice and simple. I brought it home and took it apart. The size was perfect for her windows, and I only needed to rip the stiches from three sides, and make one cut down the middle! Sure enough, there was an Ikea tag on the inside, so I’m assuming it was from the discontinued line I had been told about. These were the easiest curtains I’ve ever made.

Since the floral fabric was so narrow, I decided it would work great for a bed skirt, so a few seams later, her room was near completion. I’m so pleased with the colors and patterns. I also love the way the vintage dolls match. You can see a more detailed photo of them here.

One of my favorite things in her room is this bird piggy bank that my mom made. She gives one to each of the grandkids when they’re babies. Having a creative mom is such a blessing!

[ TULA GETS CURTAINS ]

Our family moved into this house eight months ago, and until a few weeks ago, Tula’s windows have been bare. She’s been a good sport about it, never complaining about being scared at night, or even being bothered by a giant spider who took up residence outside her window last month. In fact, the kids named him Stripy, and were quite fond of watching him eat the bugs he’d catch in his web.

I had planned to sew curtains out of the modern floral fabric that I used for the pillow and bed skirt, but the fabric was something I picked up at a garage sale a year ago, and I later discovered that all of the pieces were only eighteen inches wide. I had heard that Ikea had a line of bedding and curtains in similar colors, so I picked up sheets and a bedspread, but I was never able to find curtains.

Then, last month I came across a twin size duvet cover at Goodwill for $4.99. The colors looked like a perfect match, and the pattern was nice and simple. I brought it home and took it apart. The size was perfect for her windows, and I only needed to rip the stiches from three sides, and make one cut down the middle! Sure enough, there was an Ikea tag on the inside, so I’m assuming it was from the discontinued line I had been told about. These were the easiest curtains I’ve ever made.

Since the floral fabric was so narrow, I decided it would work great for a bed skirt, so a few seams later, her room was near completion. I’m so pleased with the colors and patterns. I also love the way the vintage dolls match. You can see a more detailed photo of them here.

One of my favorite things in her room is this bird piggy bank that my mom made. She gives one to each of the grandkids when they’re babies. Having a creative mom is such a blessing!

Comments powered by Disqus